Thursday, June 30, 2011

ManaRes

Hot off the great start to my summer running season, I wanted a long run at my new favorite site, the Manasquan Reservoir. Since I didn’t warm up with a slow jog beforehand, I pushed it hard from the start in order to have a quality time.

I made sure to listen to a running podcast – Ultrarunner Podcast – which was a first-time listen and strongly delivered; I listened to an interview with Gordy Ainsleigh about how he started the Western States 100 miler, followed by an interview with a top ultrarunner and former WS100 winner, Hal Koerner. Between the stories about the Sierra Nevada mountain range and pseudo-wilderness track of the reservoir, I was transported to a trail somewhere other than Howell, NJ.

My first lap around wasn’t easy, but exactly what I wanted. A hard workout and a quality time. I originally wanted two laps – 10.2 miles – and the pain in my abdominal area wasn’t helping yet again. I also had plans with my cousin, Jordan, to do some upper body lifting. When the thought of leaving 5.1 miles out there on the trails of the reservoir crossed my mind, I forced myself back with an easy pace. I wanted to walk during portions – and did during the biggest incline of the trail – but running was the quickest way to end the discomfort.

And yes, my iPod malfunctioned again.

No comments:

Post a Comment