Monday, June 13, 2011

Training Guilt

As mentioned, I didn't run for three hours on Sunday in hopes of getting a taste for ultramarathon training. While I was very happy how the day turned out - especially since it gave my wife and I some quality time together - I felt disappointed. Maybe I let myself down. Maybe I took on more than I can handle. Running 50 miles a week isn't just about the sheer amount of effort needed to log that kind of mileage, but also about the time to do so. The time away from other activities or necessities. Or love ones. Perhaps its a deeper question for me to ask myself.

Regardless, I felt guilty. So, with only six hours of rest, I woke up at 4am and got myself into the gym promptly an hour later at opening time. With the aid of a little caffeinated iced tea, I powered through a core workout that ratcheted up my effort even more.  When I was finished, I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, much of which was on a 15% incline, before I hit the bike for another 10 minutes (hey, I had work to get ready for otherwise I'd have done more - get off my back reader!).

I felt a little rejuvenated for the week ahead. Last week was sub-par regarding my diet so I wanted to start fresh for the week. I've done so and set the bar high. What the week will bring is entirely unclear. But, should I get my rest and eat well, I will reward myself with an excellent trail running excursion this weekend the likes of which I have yet to see. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment